Zapier is an automation tool that allows you to connect your web applications to create automated workflows without coding. With Clio's integration with Zapier, you can define triggers and actions to create Zaps, or connections, that automate repetitive tasks and workflows, streamlining your processes and helping you save time.
Important: Zaps are firm wide, which means that if one user on your Clio account creates a Zap and turns it on, it will run the action every time the trigger event occurs for all users on the Clio account. You can prevent other users' Zaps from turning on unintentionally by setting up filters.
Set up Zaps
Note: These actions are performed in Zapier. For more information on creating Zaps, adding trigger and action applications, and adding filters, take a look at Zapier's Help Center resources here.
- In Zapier, create a new Zap.
Select a trigger application.
- You will need to select the type of trigger, connect your trigger account to Zapier, and then test your trigger. A successful test requires at least some data in your trigger application.
Select an action application.
- Here you can select Clio as the action application and connect your Clio account to Zapier. See below for a list of Clio triggers and actions. Then, you can match fields of information between the trigger and action applications and test your action. A successful test requires at least some data in your action application.
- Filters ensure that actions only take place when certain conditions are met. If you have multiple users on your Clio account, add filters to ensure that Zaps created by other users do not automatically run every time the trigger event occurs.
- Name your Zap, select the folder where your Zap will be saved, and then turn on your Zap.
Examples of Clio triggers and actions
See below for tips on setting up your Clio Zaps and a list of Clio triggers and actions.
- Clio actions with a matter number: Some Clio actions require or have the option to add a matter. These actions work easily with Clio triggers, but you can also use other app triggers with fields where you can enter the matter number manually. For example, you can create a Zap that allows you to email a matter note if you map the email subject line to the matter field in the trigger and enter the appropriate matter number in the subject of the email.
- Using custom contact and matter fields: If you are using Zapier to create a new contact or matter, all of your Clio custom fields will be available to be matched to fields or information in the other application.
- Modifying dates on task and calendar entry actions: When creating a Clio task or calendar event, you can modify the event or due date in the action by mapping the Due, Start at, or End at fields to an available date option and then add a date modifier. You can add a certain number of days using the plus (+) sign or go back a certain number of days using the minus (-) sign. For example, "+7d" will be seven days after the date mapped in the field, and "-7d" will be seven days before the date mapped in the field.
- Mapping first and last names on a create person action: If you are creating a new person contact in Clio, both a first and last name are required. When setting up a create person action in Zapier, you will only be provided with a single name field. This field can accommodate both the first and last names. You can map the name field to either a single trigger field that contains both names or to separate fields for the first name and last name if supported by the trigger application. You can use either "FirstName, LastName" or "LastName, FirstName" name formats as long as there is a space between the first and last names.
|New contact added in Clio
|Create communications in Clio
|New task created in Clio
|Create or update company contact in Clio
|New activity recorded in Clio
|Create or update person contact in Clio
|New invoice generated in Clio
|Create or update task in Clio
|New calendar event added in Clio
|Create contact note in Clio
|New communication recorded in Clio
|Create matter note in Clio
|New matter added in Clio
|Create calendar event in Clio
|New document created in Clio
|Create time entry in Clio
|New matter note created in Clio
|Create expense entry in Clio
|Invoice state updated in Clio
|Create or update matter in Clio
|Task status updated in Clio
|Create matter folder in Clio
|Matter status updated in Clio
|Assign task list in Clio
- Open the Start menu on your PC.
- Go to Settings > System > Apps & features.
- Select the app.
- Click Uninstall.
- Open Finder on your mac.
- Go to Applications.
- Drag the app to the Trash or right click the app and select Move to Trash.
- Go to Trash and click Empty.
- Click Empty Trash to confirm.
Find Zapier support
You can find more information about Zapier and how to create Zaps and automate workflows here.