After generating bills, you can edit any unpaid bills. Bills that have been approved have limited edit functionality and will need to be voided if you need to add or remove activities. Bills in draft or pending approval have full edit functionality, including the option to add or remove activities. If you need to edit a paid bill, you will need to delete the payment first.
Enable full editing of unpaid bills
By default, only bills in draft and pending approval can be fully edited. You can change this setting to allow editing of all unpaid bills.
- Go to Settings > Billing > Bill Settings.
- Scroll down to Bill States.
- Check the box for Allow editing of approved bills and trust requests.
- Click Save Bill Settings.
Edit bills in draft or bills pending approval
Draft bills and bills pending approval have full edit functionality by default. This means that you can make changes to time and expense activities, taxes, discounts, issue date, due date, currency, and more for these types of bills.
- Go to Billing and click the bill Id number to view the bill. Then, click the More actions dropdown and select Edit. You can also click Edit if your bill is in draft or pending approval.
- Click Add time or Add expense to add new activities. Click Remove to remove activities.
Note: Removing activities only removes them from the bill being generated. The activities will not be deleted from Clio and can still be generated on a new bill.
- Make any other necessary changes, such as changing the due date or applying tax or discounts. Learn more about applying discounts here, and more about tax here.
- Click Save invoice.
Edit approved bills
By default, you can only make changes to activities for bills that are in draft or pending approval. If a bill has been approved, you can only change non-activity items, such as adding discount and invoice notes and changing the bill ID. If you want the option to make edits to activities for approved bills, you can enable this option in your settings. See the section above to learn how.
- Go to Billing and then select the Unpaid quick filter to view approved bills.
- Click the down arrow next to Send and select Edit bill. You can also click the bill Id, select the More actions dropdown and then select Edit.
- Make your necessary edits.
- If you have not enabled full editing of approved bills, you can only change the bill ID#, add a Discount or Invoice note, or change the Subject and Purchase order #. Learn more about applying discounts here.
- If you enabled full editing of approved bills, you can also add and remove activities, change the Issue date, Due date, and Currency, edit taxes, and make changes directly on table of line items. Learn more about tax here.
- Click Save invoice when you are finished.
Edit bill invoice ids
You can change the bill invoice id number for any unpaid bill. If you need to change the invoice number for a paid bill, you will need to remove the payment first. You can change the bill invoice id to any number of your choice. The next bill that is generated will have an id number that starts one number higher than the largest bill id number in your Clio account.
- Go to Billing or go to a contact or matter's Bills subtab.
- Click the bill ID number to view the bill.
- Depending on the bill state, either click Edit or click the down arrow next to More actions and select Edit.
- Under ID#, enter the new value.
- Click Save invoice.
Edit bill invoice notes and options
Before sending a bill to your client, you can edit footer, invoice memo, and payment profile notes and you can change the bill theme and the client’s address if they have multiple addresses. You can choose to change or entirely remove the footer notes, invoice memo, and payment profile notes. When you make these changes, you can view them in real-time on the bill invoice.
Note: Making these changes when editing the bill will only affect the bill that you are editing. If you want to make changes to the overall bill theme, learn more here.
- Go to Billing and click the bill ID number to view the bill. You can also click the down arrow and select View bill.
- On the left menu under Options, change the bill theme or a client’s address if they have multiple addresses.
- On the left menu under Note, change or remove the footer notes, invoice memo, or payment profile notes.