With Clio for Co-Counsel, you can share resources with your co-counsel, and co-counsel can share resources with you. Co-counsel will have access to shared items in the portal until they are unshared by the firm.
Share document files and folders
When you share a document file or folder with co-counsel, they will receive an email notifying them that an item was shared with them, along with a link to the secure online portal. This email link will expire after seven days. You can re-share a document with co-counsel by stopping the share and sharing the item again.
- Go to the main Documents tab or the Documents subtab in a matter.
- Click the down arrow next to View and select Share with contacts.
- Under Select contacts, enter the co-counsel’s name. The matter’s client will be added by default.
- Under Share via, select Clio for Co-Counsel.
- Optional: Check the box for Notify contacts via email after sharing to send your co-counsel an email notification.
- Click Share.
You can communicate with co-counsel using the internal messaging feature in Clio Manage. When you send a message, your co-counsel will receive an email notifying them that they have a new message. This email link will expire after seven days.
- Go to the main Communications tab or the Communications tab within a contact or matter.
- Click New and select Internal message.
- Add the co-counsel contact.
- Complete the message details.
- Click Send message.
Share calendar events
You can share calendar entries with co-counsel using the secure portal to improve collaboration and remind them of important events. When you share a calendar event, your co-counsel will receive an email notifying them that they have a new event to view. This email link will expire after seven days.
- Go to Calendar or go to the Calendar subtab within a matter.
- Click New event or click Edit to update an existing event.
- Under Invite attendees, enter the co-counsel contact’s name.
- Optional: Click X next to a name to remove the attendee.
- Click Save event.
You can assign tasks to co-counsel to ensure that they are keeping track of work that needs to be completed for the case. When you assign a task, your co-counsel will receive an email notifying them that they have been assigned a task. This email link will expire after seven days.
- Go to the main Tasks tab or the Tasks subtab within a matter.
- Click New task.
- Under Assign to, select your co-counsel contact.
- Optional: Select if you want to notify your co-counsel that they have a new task and whether you want to be notified when they complete the task.
- Complete the remaining task details.
- Click Save task.
Stop sharing resources
After sharing a matter or individual items with co-counsel, you can revoke access at any time. Once access is revoked, they cannot view any details previously shared.
- Go to the matter and click Share.
- Click Stop sharing.
- Select Continue.
- Go to the matter.
- Select the Clio for Co-Counsel subtab.
- Click Stop Sharing below the item.
View items shared by co-counsel
Your co-counsel can share documents with you and send you messages. You can view these in Clio Manage.
View documents shared by co-counsel:
When co-counsel upload documents to the folder you shared with them, the documents can be found in either the Documents subtab for the contact or matter. If co-counsel upload documents outside of a shared folder, the documents will be linked to the contact rather than the matter.
- Go to the Documents subtab for the contact or matter.
- Click All or Files only.
- Now you can view, edit, or delete the document, send it for signature, and add time.
Note: Co-counsel cannot delete documents that they upload. This is intentional functionality to prevent accidental deletion of important information.
View messages sent from co-counsel:
You can view messages sent from co-counsel either in Communications or the Clio for Co-Counsel subtab.
Note: You cannot prevent co-counsel from sending internal messages to you.
- Go to the main Communications tab or the matter’s Communications subtab.
- Click Internal messages.
- Select the message to view it. You can also reply to it, add time, and change the matter that it is linked to.
- Go to the matter
- Select the Clio for Co-Counsel subtab.
- Click the message to view and/or reply.