With Clio Payments, you can refund all or part of a payment, including payments for multiple bills. You can also refund overpayment amounts not connected to paid bills. If you need information regarding refunds for disputes or chargebacks, learn more here.
Tip: Learn more about returning trust fund payments here.
Note: If a payment is refunded, the full amount will be returned to your client. You will not be charged any transaction fees; however, the transaction fee for the initial payment will not be returned to you. If a payment is voided, the full amount will be returned to your client and you will not be charged any transaction fees since the payment was not completed.
Refund bill payments
You can only refund a payment for a bill that has an approved payment. If the payment has not been completed, you will need to wait until it is fully completed. A payment is fully completed when the Void button is replaced with a Refund option. Once a refund is successfully processed, both you and your client will receive a confirmation email.
- Go to Billings or click the Bills tab in a contact or matter.
- Optional: Select Paid to view bills with payments.
- Click the bill ID to view the bill. You can also click the down arrow next to Send and select View bill.
- Select the Online payments subtab.
- Click Refund. You can refund the entire payment or a partial amount.
- Optional: If the payment was applied to multiple bills, you can select which bills the refund will be applied to. Then click Next.
- Click Refund payment.
- Go to Online payments.
- Optional: Select the Completed subtab.
- Optional: Click Filters to narrow your results.
- Find the payment.
- Click the down arrow next to Edit and click Refund. You can refund the entire payment or a partial amount.
Record refunds for overpayments
If you need to issue a refund for an overpayment that is not linked to a bill, you can do so from the matter’s page. Once a transaction is recorded, you can see the funds that are taken out in the bank account ledger.
- Go to the matter’s Transactions subtab.
- Click New transaction.
- Enter the refund amount as a negative number.
- Select the account that the funds will come out of and complete any other details.
- Click Record transaction.
- Optional: Select Accounts and click the bank account name to view the transaction that was refunded.