Overview of data migration process
In Clio, data migration is the process of exporting your practice management data from one software and importing it into another. The green and red boxes below show what data can and cannot be migrated into Clio. The steps below the boxes outline what the data migration process is generally like at Clio.
What can be migrated?
- Unbilled time and expense activities
What cannot be migrated?
- Accounting and financial history, including outstanding accounts receivable balances, historical bills and trust requests, bill and trust payments, and billable rates (i.e. user rate, client rate, and matter rate)
- User permissions
- Step 1: Consultation
- You will speak with a member of our team to discuss what your data migration will look like. This includes what can be exported from your current practice management software, any limitations in the exported data, timelines for data processing, and what to expect once that data has been imported into Clio.
- Step 2: Data export
- Our team can help you to export the data from your previous practice management program so that it can be processed into a form that can be imported into Clio. We can also provide some instructions on how to export your information for some popular programs. If you export the information yourself, it will eliminate the need for an export appointment and will likely speed up the migration process.
- Step 3: Data processing
- Our experts will convert your data exports into a format that can be imported into Clio. Depending on the size and complexity of the data set, the time required to process the data can vary. A member of our team will be in regular contact throughout the migration process to make sure that we are setting and meeting reasonable expectations.
- Step 4: Data import
- After the data is processed, we will work with you to import the data to your Clio account. Once the import has been completed, you will have three business days to review the data in your account to assess its accuracy and let us know if any corrections need to be made. If you modify the imported data in your account in the interim, data may be lost if the import needs to be reverted.
Prepare your data for migration
Clio's Migrations team will not clean your data or remove duplicate data. Before sending your data to the Clio Migrations team, review your data. If the data was wrongly entered in the previous system, it will appear in Clio in that format. This list details key areas you should look for in your data.
Verify that the proper data is in the right column. For example, phone numbers should not be in an email address field. Include the following fields:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Company Name
The Matter Description should not be blank, otherwise your matter will be assigned a description during the import. Matters should have an assigned client, otherwise matters will be assigned to an unknown client during the import process. Include the following fields:
- Matter Status (Open, Pending, Closed)
- Matter Custom Number
- Matter Description
Time entries need an assigned user, otherwise they will not import. If you would like to import data for a user that will not be added to the Clio account, your Migrations representative can help you with this. Include the following fields:
We highly recommend making sure that your events have exported correctly by picking four or five events in the past and in the future to make sure court dates and scheduled meetings are all included. Include the following fields:
- Calendar Summary
- Start Date
- Start Time
- End Date
- End Time
- Destination/ User Calendar.
Contact notes will not import without a contact or company name. Include the following fields:
- Note Description
Matter notes will not import without a matter number. Include the following fields:
- Note Description
Each related contact requires a matter. Include the following fields:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Company Name
Tasks must have an assigned user. If your tasks do not have an assigned user, you can choose to remove them from the data set. You can also confirm this with your Migrations representative and they can remove this information for you. Include the following fields:
- Status (Pending, In-Progress, Complete)
- Task Name
- Due Date
- Assigned User
Balances forward (outstanding balances):
It is very important to make sure that you review the balances that were exported from your previous system to make sure they are the correct value. If there are multiple columns with outstanding amounts, identify which amount is to be imported and inform your Migrations representative. Include the following fields:
Manage your firm data during migration
Once your export is scheduled with a Clio data migrations specialist, set a cut-off time for your firm. Any data added to your previous software after the export session will not be migrated to Clio and will need to be manually transferred after the migration has been completed. Additionally, you can follow the steps below to manage your firm during data migration transition period.
Step 1: Close out your data in your old software:
- Generate bills for any outstanding time and expense entries in your previous software to obtain the most up-to-date outstanding balances for your clients.
- Apply credits and trust payments to outstanding bills in your previous software. Credits and trust balances will not be migrated.
- Export historical banking and trust reports that you want to back up in Clio.
Step 2: Manage your firm data during the transition period:
- Do not turn on contact or calendar syncs until after the migration has been completed in order to reduce the possibility of duplicate contacts being created.
- Do not turn on any integrations before the migration process is complete.
- Add new clients, matters, time entries, and all other data in Clio.
- Track activities for your historical clients in one of two ways:
Placeholder matter: This is a temporary matter that you can add time to while waiting for a data migration to complete. Once the migration has been complete, and you have confirmed that the data is free of errors, an administrator can move the time entries in bulk from the placeholder matter to the respective matters.
- Create a new company contact with your firm's name.
- Create a new matter for this contact. Enter "Placeholder—Migrations" for the matter's Description.
- Add time entries and use the Description field to specify which matter the time entry belongs to.
- Repeat step 3 for all time entries incurred during the data migration process.
- Once migration has been completed, move the time entries in bulk to their respective matters.
- Import templates: Use Clio's migration import templates to track activities and matter notes. Your data migrations specialist will upload this spreadsheet data into Clio and link the time and expense entries and matter notes to their respective matters.
- Placeholder matter: This is a temporary matter that you can add time to while waiting for a data migration to complete. Once the migration has been complete, and you have confirmed that the data is free of errors, an administrator can move the time entries in bulk from the placeholder matter to the respective matters.
- Upload reports that you exported from your previous system into Clio under the Documents tab. You can create a folder called "Historical data" for future reference. Learn more about creating folders and uploading documents here.
- Get started with Clio's Quick Start training webinars.
Step 3: Manage your data after migration:
- Review your imported data for accuracy within three business days of the import's completion.
- Contacts: Choose five contacts and check that their addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses are correct.
- Matters: Choose a mix of 5-10 open and closed matters and verify that each has the appropriate client assigned, the correct matter number, the appropriate responsible attorney (if applicable), and any requested custom fields.
- Unbilled time and expense activities and accounts receivable balances: Choose 20 entries and review the rate or price assigned to each entry, the total value of the entry, and that the entry is assigned to the correct user and matter.
- Calendar: Choose a mix of 20-30 past and future calendar entries and check that the date and time values are correct and that each event is assigned to the appropriate calendar. Migrated time entries only include the user that the calendar entry is assigned to, not any invited users.
- Tasks: Choose a mix of 10-20 past and future tasks that you know are coming up soon, such as filing deadlines. Once selected, check that the task name, due date (if assigned), and task assignee are correct.
- Contact and matter notes: Choose 2-3 contact and matter notes and check that they are connected to the correct contact and/or matter. Learn more about how to find contact notes here and how to find matter notes here.
- Related contacts: Choose 5-10 matters and verify that the contact's name is correct and that their relationship between the matter and contact is correctly labeled. Learn more about finding related contacts here.
- Add deposits to client trust accounts.
- Upload the data from the transition period that you tracked to either a placeholder matter or for which you used import templates.
Export your data from Clio
The success of any data migration depends primarily on the quality of the data set provided to us. Before attempting to migrate your information into Clio, you should ensure that your data is consistently formatted, well organized, sufficiently backed up, and stored securely. If you are not certain, consult with your Clio representative before proceeding. Follow the steps below to export your data from Clio and prepare it for importing back into Clio.
Note: Only users with administrator permissions can export data in bulk for migration.
- Log in to Clio Manage.
- Go to the exports page.
- Click Excel ready CSV next to the following:
- Calendar Entries
- Contact Notes
- Contact Related Matters
- Expense Entries
- Matter Notes
- Time Entries
- For outstanding balances, you will need to download the accounts receivable report.
- Go to Reports > Reports > Accounts receivable.
- Change the Output Format to CSV.
- Click Generate Report.