Clio Manage is a practice management software where you can manage your law firm clients, cases, files, billing, payments, and much more. After signing up for Clio Manage, you can begin setting up your account. Take a look at the resources below to learn more about setting up your Clio Manage account.
Tip: Clio offers a client-relationship management application that works alongside Clio Manage called Clio Grow. With Clio Grow, you can track leads, intake new clients, and send data to Clio Manage once you are ready to begin billing and collecting payments. Learn more about Clio Grow here.
There is no recommended minimum internet speed for accessing Clio Manage; however, speeds below 30 Mbps can result in slower screen loading. Generally, a faster connection is better.
The two most recent versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge will support Clio Manage. Clio will not operate on Internet Explorer or older legacy web browsers where security requirements are not sufficient to meet Clio's security features.
You can use Clio on a computer or mobile device. In order to use Clio, you must
- have an internet connection
- be able to run a web browser that is up-to-date. You can also add clio.com to your firewall's whitelist
- have cookies enabled
Sign up for Clio
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your email address. Click Next: Password.
- Enter your password. Click Sign In.
Note: If you forgot your password, select I forgot my password and follow the prompts.
- Optional: If you have 2FA enabled on your account, enter the six-digit code generated by your authenticator app. Check the box for Keep me logged in for one week to extend your session and click Sign In.
In Settings, you can set up, enable, or disable all Clio Manage related settings. An account administrator has full privileges, while a user only has limited things they can access. To find the Settings menu, click Settings in the left navigation menu. From there, you can go into System Settings, Personal Settings, and Clio Settings.
Account and Payment Info
- Account Info: Upload your firm address, phone and other information. This information is pulled into bills.
- Payment Info: Enter your credit card information to pay for your Clio Subscription.
- Account Administration: Manage and transfer account ownership.
- Account Roles: Review all account roles for users.
In this section, you can view, add, and edit permissions for account users. This is also where administrators will go to force users to change their passwords.
Groups, Permissions, and Job Titles
- Groups: When you create a matter you can specify if only members of a specific group can access the matter. Only administrators can set up groups.
- Permissions: See who in your firm has what permission level. Click here for more information.
- Job Titles: View a list of the job titles that have been added to your account.
If your subscription plan includes custom fields, you can set them up in this section. Custom fields allow you to enter extra information for your contact and matter records that may not be native fields in Clio. Learn more here.
When you delete something in Clio, this is a permanent action. However, Clio account administrators may be able to restore an item that was deleted using the Recovery Bin. Administrators can attempt recovery of deleted tasks, activities, matters, contacts, and calendar events.
In this section, you can manage your security level, update passwords, and monitor account sessions.
- Update Password: Allows you to change your password while in your Clio session.
- Two-Factor Setup: Add an extra layer of security to your Clio account by enabling this feature. Learn more here.
- Sessions: Administrators can see who is logged into Clio, from what IP address, and for how long.
Administrators can set up settings for integrations with document integration applications such as Box, Dropbox and Google Drive, and NetDocuments. This is also where you can view available merge fields for document templates and enable document preview.
This is where you can set up the Xero and QuickBooks Online accounting integrations.
This section contains the following information:
- Your Information: Update your own personal information such as email, name, timezone, etc. If you select a timezone that observes daylight savings time (DST), DST is automatically applied, which means there is no need to change the time zone when switching to or from DST.
- Change Login Email: Change the email address you use to log into Clio.
- Personal Performance: Set up your personal performance metrics to track and graph your performance.
- Profile Picture: The Dashboard Firm Feed, which shows a timeline of activity on the account, shows an image of the user that performed an action on a file. You can go here to choose an avatar or upload your own picture.
- Maildrop Email Aliases: If you would like the ability to send emails from Clio from alternate email addresses, then you can add them here. Learn more here.
Clio Mobile Apps
This section allows you to remotely deauthorize your Clio iPhone, iPad, and Android apps in case of a lost or stolen device, or if you forget your PIN on your device.
Contact and Calendar Sync
Clio has several third-party application partners with developed tools that connect directly with Clio. You can view information about these applications and add them in this section.
Text snippets are helpful abbreviations for commonly used phrases that can be used through Clio to automatically fill in desired text. Learn more here.
Reminders, Notifications, and Alerts
This section contains the following information:
- Reminders: Set up reminders on behalf of other users in your firm.
- Notifications: Manage your notification preferences regarding specific areas of Clio.
- Restore Alert Messages: When you start in Clio, there are blue boxes that give information on the page you are looking at. Go here to restore them if you previously chose to hide them.
This is where you can manage your Court Rules jurisdictions and default settings. Learn more here.
Google Business Profile
In this section, you can set up how potential clients view your firm information on Google.
This section includes:
- Matter Numbering: Set how your matters are numbered. Learn more here.
- Practice Areas: When you create a matter, you can assign a practice area to it. You can come here to add, edit and delete practice areas. Learn more here.
This area allows users with billing permissions to manage bill settings and touches the following areas:
- Bill Settings: Upload a logo, set up your currency, taxes, decimal and time rounding, and manage bill payments when deleting bills.
- Automated Bill Reminders: Set up automated bill reminders for outstanding bills. Clients will automatically receive emails for outstanding bills at the intervals that you specify. Learn more here.
- Bill Message Templates: Add and edit bill message templates, which are used to easily draft the email message for sending out bills.
- Bill Themes: There are over 150 different customizations that you can make to your bill invoices to make them unique to your firm. Learn more here.
- Payment Profiles: Create payment profiles for clients. You can create profiles for automatic interest calculations, early payment discount, etc. Learn more here.
- UTBMS Codes: If your firm uses UTBMS codes and LEDES formatted invoices, you can enable code sets here. Learn more here.
- Expenses: Separate expenses into hard and soft cost expenses. Learn more about expenses here.
This area allows you to sign up for Clio's built-in payment processing application. Learn more here.
This is for users who would like to send a weekly copy of their Clio information and documents to a secure location.
Here you can select where the Firm Feed should appear in Clio.
Clio for Co-Counsel & Sharing
Set-up your shared resources, online payments, and edit bill preview settings for Clio's secure co-counsel portal. Learn more here.
- Customization: Add your firm's logo and firm name to reflect your firm's brand and image.
- Shared Clio for Co-Counsel Resources: View items that are being shared via Clio for Co-Counsel.
- Clio for Co-Counsel Bill Settings: Turn on the ability for your clients to see your bills in the proper bill theme format.
In this section, you can set your firm to send and receive text messages from clients. Learn more here.