Clio Manage is a practice management software where you can manage your law firm clients, cases, files, billing, payments, and much more. After signing up for Clio Manage, you can begin setting up your account. Take a look at the resources below to learn more about setting up your Clio Manage account.
Tip: Clio offers a client intake tool that works alongside Clio Manage called Clio Grow. With Clio Grow, you can track leads, intake new clients, and send data to Clio Manage once you are ready to begin billing and collecting payments. Learn more about Clio Grow here.
There is no recommended minimum internet speed for accessing Clio Manage; however, speeds below 30 Mbps can result in slower screen loading. Generally, a faster connection is better.
The two most recent versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Edge will support Clio Manage. Clio will not operate on Internet Explorer or older legacy web browsers where security requirements are not sufficient to meet Clio's security features.
You can use Clio on a computer or mobile device. In order to use Clio, you must
- have an internet connection
- be able to run a web browser that is up-to-date. You can also add clio.com to your firewall's whitelist
- have cookies enabled
Sign up for Clio
- Go to www.clio.com.
- Click Try Clio For Free.
- Enter any relevant information.
- Click Start Trial.
- Go to your email inbox and open the email from Clio. Click the link to confirm your account.
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your email address. Click Next: Password.
- Enter your password. Click Sign In.
Note: If you forgot your password, select I forgot my password and follow the prompts.
- Optional: If you have 2FA enabled on your account, enter the six-digit code generated by your authenticator app. Check the box for Keep me logged in for one week to extend your session and click Sign In.
In your settings, you can set up, enable, or disable all Clio Manage related settings. An account administrator has full privileges, while a user only has limited things they can access. To find the Settings menu, click Settings in the left navigation menu. From there, you can go into System Settings, Personal Settings, and Clio Settings.
In Clio Manage, your "System" settings are where you can change your account and payment information, manager account users, manage groups and permissions, create custom fields, view and recover deleted items, manage account security, and set up document integrations and accounting softwares.
Account and Payment Info
- Account Info: Upload your firm address, phone and other information. This information is pulled into bills.
- Payment Info: Enter your credit card information to pay for your Clio Subscription.
- Account Administration: Manage and transfer account ownership.
- Account Roles: Review all account roles for users.
In this section, you can view, add, and edit permissions for account users. This is also where administrators will go to force users to change their passwords.
Groups, Permissions, and Job Titles
- Groups: When you create a matter you can specify if only members of a specific group can access the matter. Only administrators can set up groups.
- Permissions: See who in your firm has what permission level. Click here for more information.
- Job Titles: View a list of the job titles that have been added to your account.
If your subscription plan includes custom fields, you can set them up in this section. Custom fields allow you to enter extra information for your contact and matter records that may not be native fields in Clio. Learn more here.
When you delete something in Clio, this is a permanent action. However, Clio account administrators may be able to restore an item that was deleted using the Recovery Bin. Administrators can attempt recovery of deleted tasks, activities, matters, contacts, and calendar events.
In this section, you can manage your security level, update passwords, and monitor account sessions.
- Update Password: Allows you to change your password while in your Clio session.
- Two-Factor Setup: Add an extra layer of security to your Clio account by enabling this feature. Learn more here.
- Sessions: Administrators can see who is logged into Clio, from what IP address, and for how long.
Administrators can set up settings for integrations with document integration applications such as Box, Dropbox and Google Drive, and NetDocuments. This is also where you can view available merge fields for document templates and enable document preview.
This is where you can set up the Xero and QuickBooks Online accounting integrations.
In Clio Manage, your "Personal" settings are where you can update your profile, manage settings for the Clio mobile app, start or stop contact and/or calendar syncs, authorize third party apps, manage text snippets and notifications, and set up Court Rules settings.
This section contains the following information:
- Your Information: Update your own personal information such as email, name, job title, billing rate, timezone, etc. If you select a timezone that observes daylight savings time (DST), DST is automatically applied, which means there is no need to change the time zone when switching to or from DST.
- Change Login Email: Change the email address you use to log into Clio.
- Personal Performance: Set up your personal performance metrics to track and graph your performance.
- Profile Picture: The Dashboard Firm Feed, which shows a timeline of activity on the account, shows an image of the user that performed an action on a file. You can go here to choose an avatar or upload your own picture.
- Maildrop Email Aliases: If you would like the ability to send emails from Clio from alternate email addresses, then you can add them here. Learn more here.
Clio Mobile Apps
This section allows you to remotely deauthorize your Clio iPhone, iPad, and Android apps in case of a lost or stolen device, or if you forget your PIN on your device.
Contact and Calendar Sync
Clio has several third-party application partners with developed tools that connect directly with Clio. You can view information about these applications and add them in this section.
Text snippets are helpful abbreviations for commonly used phrases that can be used through Clio to automatically fill in desired text. Learn more here.
This is where you can manage notification preferences regarding specific areas of Clio Manage, including the option to enable or disable email, in-app, and mobile user notifications. You can also enable pop-up reminders for important events, tasks, and more.
This is where you can manage your Court Rules jurisdictions and default settings. Learn more here.
In Clio Manage, your "Clio Settings" are where you can manage firm preferences like matter numbering and practice areas, bill settings, online payments options, data escrow settings, your Firm Feed's visibility, text messaging, and where you can manage sharing settings for Clio for Co-Counsel.
This section includes:
- Matter Numbering: Set how your matters are numbered. Learn more here.
- Practice Areas: When you create a matter, you can assign a practice area to it. You can come here to add, edit and delete practice areas. Learn more here.
This area allows users with billing permissions to manage bill settings and touches the following areas:
- Bill Settings: Upload a logo, set up your currency, taxes, decimal and time rounding, and manage bill payments when deleting bills.
- Automated Bill Reminders: Set up automated bill reminders for outstanding bills. Clients will automatically receive emails for outstanding bills at the intervals that you specify. Learn more here.
- Bill Message Templates: Add and edit bill message templates, which are used to easily draft the email message for sending out bills.
- Bill Themes: There are over 150 different customizations that you can make to your bill invoices to make them unique to your firm. Learn more here.
- Payment Profiles: Create payment profiles for clients. You can create profiles for automatic interest calculations, early payment discount, etc. Learn more here.
- UTBMS Codes: If your firm uses UTBMS codes and LEDES formatted invoices, you can enable code sets here. Learn more here.
- Expenses: Separate expenses into hard and soft cost expenses. Learn more about expenses here.
This area allows you to sign up for Clio's built-in payment processing application. Learn more here.
This is for users who would like to send a weekly copy of their Clio information and documents to a secure location.
Here you can select where the Firm Feed should appear in Clio.
Clio for Co-Counsel & Sharing
Set-up your shared resources, online payments, and edit bill preview settings for Clio's secure co-counsel portal. Learn more here.
- Customization: Add your firm's logo and firm name to reflect your firm's brand and image.
- Shared Clio for Co-Counsel Resources: View items that are being shared via Clio for Co-Counsel.
- Clio for Co-Counsel Bill Settings: Turn on the ability for your clients to see your bills in the proper bill theme format.
In this section, you can set your firm to send and receive text messages from clients. Learn more here.
Configure single sign-on
Single sign-on (SSO) is a user authentication process that allows a user to use one set of identification credentials to access multiple applications. This means that you can use the same username and password to access both Clio Manage and Clio Grow.
Clio SSO ensures consistent access control in Clio products and firm data across your user account, which potentially reduces the risk and overhead related to secure Clio account and management. Some key benefits include:
- Easy one-click login to both Clio Manage and Clio Grow.
- Few interruptions
- SSO users have longer session times in Clio Grow.
- Enhanced security
- SSO combines industry-leading security best practices with user efficiency, which allows us to provide secure access to case and client data; thus, reducing the risk of breach found in common login processes.
Tip: Add an additional layer of account security by enabling two-factor authentication (2FA). Learn more about 2FA in this article.
Important: All users with matching email logins for both Clio Manage and Clio Grow will be required to link for SSO.
Users will automatically be prompted to use SSO when they log in to Clio Manage. You can skip the SSO linking process up to a maximum of five times. If you do not want to link your accounts, you will need to change the email that you use to log in to either Clio Mange or Clio Grow. Saving any work in progress is recommended before enabling SSO. To enable SSO:
- Click Enable single sign-on.
- In the account linking details page, click Continue.
- Create a strong password for both accounts and then click Create password.
Note: If your first and last names are not an exact match across Clio Manage and Clio Grow, you will see a different screen where your Clio Grow name will be revised to match your Clio Manage name.
Create and manage text snippets
Text snippets are helpful abbreviations for commonly used phrases that you can use throughout Clio to automatically fill in text. Once enabled and created, all you need to do is type one of the abbreviations into a text entry field in Clio Manage. The abbreviation will automatically become the full expanded phrase, allowing you to quickly and efficiently track your work. You can use text snippets in the following fields:
- Matters: Description field when creating a new matter or editing an existing matter.
- Transactions: Description field in the matter's Transactions subtab and the Accounts tab.
- Notes: Subject and Detail fields in the matter.
- Tasks: Name and Description fields when creating or editing tasks.
- Expense entries: Description field when creating or editing expense entries.
- Time entries: Description field when creating or editing time entries.
- Bill payments: Description field in the record payment window.
- Calendar entries: Summary. Location, and Description fields when creating or editing calendar entries.
- Communications: Subject and Body fields in all communication types (phone and email logs, secure messages, text messages).
Note: Each user needs to configure their own text snippets. Additionally, text snippets are case sensitive and limited to 255 characters.
- Go to Settings > Text Snippets.
- Click Add.
- Enter the abbreviation under Snippet, and then enter the whole expanded phrase under Phrase.
- Optional: Check the box for Whole word.
- If you check this box, you will need to type in the abbreviation and then click the space bar on your keyboard in order for the word or phrase to fill in. If you do not check this box, the abbreviation will automatically become the whole word once entered.
- Click Save.
- Go to Settings > Text Snippets.
- Optional: Click Filter to narrow your results.
- Click Edit below a text snippet.
- Make your changes and then click Save.
- Go to Settings > Text Snippets.
- Optional: Click Filter to narrow your results.
- Click Delete below a text snippet.
- Confirm the action by clicking Delete.
Manage user notifications
In Clio Manage, you can choose whether you want to receive individual user notifications for calendar events, Clio for Co-Counsel uploads, document eSignatures, matters notes, phone logs, internal messages, text messages, task reminders, Clio's Outlook add-in filing issues, and CSV data exports. See below for the steps on how to access your personal user notifications and more details about the actions associated with each notification.
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Click or scroll down to the appropriate category.
- Toggle on or off the appropriate settings.
- When another firm user adds a new event to your calendar, updates the event, or deletes the event, you can choose to receive or not receive in-app and/or mobile app notifications of the changes.
- Clio for Co-Counsel
- When your co-counsel uploads a new document through the Clio for Co-Counsel portal, you can enable or disable the option to receive an email notification of the upload.
- Document eSignatures
- After a document is signed and submitted, you will automatically receive an email notification. You can also choose to receive in-app notifications and mobile app notifications if you are using the Clio mobile app.
- You can choose whether you want to receive in-app and/or mobile app notifications for various matter events that you are subscribed to. When you are added to a matter, you have the option to enable or disable matter notifications for when you are added as a subscriber to a matter by another firm user, when a matter's status is changed, when a matter is deleted, when a matter reaches the matter budget threshold or when the budget is changed, and when a matter's trust balance is below the specified threshold.
Note: You will always be notified by email when a matter budget is updated, when a matter crosses the specified matter budget threshold, and when matter trust funds are below the specified threshold. You cannot turn off the email settings for these options.
- You can choose whether you want to receive in-app and/or mobile app notifications when another user subscribes you to a note, when a note that you are subscribed to is updated, and when a note that you are subscribed to is deleted.
- Phone logs
- You can choose whether you want to receive in-app and/or mobile app notifications when another user subscribes you to a phone log, when a phone log that you are subscribed to is updated, and when a phone log that you are subscribed to is deleted.
- Internal messages
- When you receive a new internal message, a badge icon will appear on the Communications tab and on the Internal messages subtab for the matter. When you open an unread message thread, the badge icon will disappear. You can also choose to receive email notifications for internal messages that are sent to you.
- Text messages
- When you receive new texts on the Clio mobile app, you will receive a push notification of the text. This is enabled by default, but you can choose to disable this feature.
- Email notifications are only available for tasks that you assign to others and for tasks and task lists that are assigned to you. You will not receive a notification if you complete one of your own tasks or if a task is overdue. In-app reminders will be delivered to you on your next login. If you toggle on all the settings, you will receive notifications when a task or task list is assigned to you and when one of your assigned tasks is updated, deleted, or completed by someone else.
- If you are using Clio's Outlook add-in, you can choose to receive or not receive in-app notifications of any event where an email log could not be filed successfully.
- When you download a CSV export of your matters, you will receive a download link in an in-app banner, but you can also enable the option to receive the link via email.